This resource will be reviewed shortly.
If you think this resource contain inappropriate content, please report to webmaster.
IntroductionMost of us love to wear makeup. It is the easiest way to even out skin tone and to hide blemishes and scars. Moreover, the beautiful eyeshades and lip colours make us look vibrant and attractive. Some of us apply makeup occasionally. Others use it on an everyday basis. The worst thing is that most of us do not follow the proper steps of skin cleansing. At the end of the day, we feel so tired that sometimes we go to bed without getting rid of it. The reason may be that some of us are not aware of the ill-effects makeup exerts on our skin. Others are lazy to follow the procedure.
Effect of makeup on skin healthIt is necessary to get rid of makeup from the skin as it needs to breathe. The entire day we keep it covered with layers of makeup. Even in the night if we do not free it and follow cleansing, it cannot repair and rejuvenate. Consequently, skin health deteriorates. Skin looks dull and dry. It will invite lots of skin problems such as clogged skin pores causing acne and blackheads. Along with it, skin dullness, dryness, signs of ageing such as fine lines, wrinkles and age spots, skin irritation and various other problems too develop. If mascara is left as it is, dark circles and puffy eyes result. Not getting rid of eye makeup can cause irritation and eye infection. To maintain skin health and keep it young and fresh, at the end of the day, free skin from makeup. Also, a proper cleansing not only gets rid of makeup but removes dirt, pollutants and impurities from the skin surface. It helps to get rid of dead skin cells from the surface and exposes a layer of new skin cells. Also, it improves blood circulation in skin as cleansing enables a little massaging action.
When to get rid of cosmetic products from skin?Ideally, there is no such thing as the right time to remove cosmetics applied on the skin. First of all, we should apply as little makeup as possible and wear it occasionally. As soon as we come home, it is better to take it off. We have to allow as much time as possible to let our skin breathe freely. Apart from this, always follow one rule. Never go to bed with makeup on the skin. Use makeup removers and cleanse skin before going to bed. It promotes cell renewal during night time which makes our skin look young and fresh in the next morning.
Process of makeup removal and skin cleansingBelow-mentioned is a step by step process which enables proper cleansing of the skin and ensures that it is free from makeup and any residues.
- First of all, the hands must be clean and germ-free. Thus, wash them well to avoid the transfer of dirt and germs to face which in turn prevents various skin problems.
- Take a cotton ball or a cotton pad. To it add a small amount of good quality makeup remover. Get rid of makeup from lips first to prevent the lip colour getting smeared all over the face.
- Next get rid of makeup from the eyes. Soak cotton ball or pad in eye makeup removal product. Do not use it to vigorously rub it around the eyes. Just pat it for a few seconds onto the eyes. Makeup remover will soften the makeup which will help in easy removal. Makeup can then be wiped away easily.
- Next, get rid of makeup from the rest of the face and neck region. Certain makeup products can be applied directly with fingers. Gently lather the product by moving fingertips in a circular motion. It not only promotes proper cleansing but also offers a little massaging action to improve blood circulation.
- In case, heavy makeup is applied, use of a single cotton pad may not be enough. The procedure needs to be repeated until the cotton pad comes up clean with no dirt or makeup on it.
- Splash some lukewarm water on the face. Alternatively, the face can also be cleaned by wiping with a clean towel dipped under hot water. A warm towel can also be left on the face for a couple of minutes. It will ensure that deep skin pores are freed from makeup residues.
- After all the impurities and residues from makeup products are removed from the skin, apply toner. Rosewater is one of the best toners that nourishes as well as helps in restoring the pH balance of the skin.
- After toner dries on the skin, apply a good moisturizing lotion or cream on the face and neck. Never leave skin un-moisturized. Throughout the night moisturizing lotion will get absorbed deeply. In the morning, the skin will look well hydrated and smooth.
Tips related to makeup removers
- Purchase right makeup remover to get rid of all the makeup from the skin, around the eyes and lips in one go. Do not purchase the one which demands repeated application and harsh scrubbing. Use oil-based makeup removers containing water-based ingredients. Advantage of using them is that they do not leave any oily residue on the skin.
- The right makeup remover is the one which not only frees the skin from the makeup but also does not leave any residues. Also, it does not dry skin but leaves it well hydrated and supple.
- Do not use alcohol-based makeup removal products on sensitive and dry skin. They can dehydrate skin and further increase dryness in already dry skin. They can irritate sensitive skin. Go for a cleansing oil. It balances the sebum production of the skin. Cleansing oil easily breaks down water-resistant makeup.
- Do not use greasy and oily makeup products on oily skin as they can clog pores and cause acne and blackheads. Use micellar water or cleansing water. Those who have combination skin should use a cleansing oil or oil-based makeup removers. Oils in these products help in balancing T-zone.
- Those who are suffering from skin conditions such as eczema and rosacea and those who have sensitive skin should choose makeup removal products which are free from fragrance. At the same time, they should be labelled as hypoallergenic.
- Certain makeup products are meant for certain areas. Never use skin makeup remover products on the skin around eyes. The skin around the eyes is sensitive and compared to other areas is thin. In this area, only eye makeup remover products should be used.
- The makeup removal process should be carried out gently to avoid causing damage to the skin, especially if it is sensitive. Getting rid of makeup from the eyes and surrounding skin should also be carried out very gently.
- Too much rubbing or vigorous scrubbing around the eyes to get rid of makeup from it can cause premature ageing of the skin. It can cause eye irritation. Carry out the cleansing process with gentle hands. Dip a cotton ball in eye makeup removal product and gently wipe the area clean.
- To get rid of waterproof mascara, use an oil-based makeup remover product meant especially for eyes. Petroleum jelly works perfectly to get rid of waterproof makeup from eyes. While using the product, take extra precautions to avoid the entry of mascara or makeup removal product from getting into the eyes.
- Those who regularly wear eye makeup are at high risk of suffering from eye irritation and infection. It is because though they are getting rid of eye makeup daily but hardly concentrating on removing it from corners of the eyes. The product builds up in the edges and causes problems. Make use of a Q-tip. Dip it in makeup remover and get rid of makeup from edges of eyelids.
- Before beginning the process of makeup removal, ensure that all the hairs are tied in a ponytail. Doing it will expose the hairline. Now, we can also concentrate on removing makeup from the hairline as it is the most neglected area. It is common for cosmetic products to build up there and cause lots of skin problems.
Blunders related to the makeup removal process
- Many of us feel that we can get rid of makeup from our face using a face wash or a soap. However, it is not true. Soap or a face wash can help in cleansing skin. It is not possible to completely remove makeup from the skin by using them. Only a makeup remover will free skin from all the cosmetic products applied on it including residues. Once the skin is free of makeup, the face can then be washed with a good moisturizing soap or a hydrating face wash.
- Makeup cannot be completely removed from face using face wipes. It is because by using these wipes, one can only get rid of makeup from the surface of the skin. The cosmetic residues can easily enter in the skin pores. If thorough cleaning is not done, there are chances that they may clog the skin pores. Thus, even if using face wipes for quick makeup removing, follow it up with cleaning the face with a face wash.