You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Doctor Speak

Yoga asana of the day: Vishwamitrasana - Sage Vishwamitra's pose

Vishwamitra was a Kshatriya, belonging to the warrior class and king of Kanyakubja. He later went to become a rajarishi, a royal sage and finally became a Brahmanical sage. The Vishwamitrasana is very beneficial for stretching and improving the tone of the muscles of the arms and legs.

It also helps to improve sciatic nerves. Thus helps to reduce sciatica problems. It further helps to improve concentration and sense of balance.

In the final position of the asana, the back of the right thigh on the back of the upper part of the right arm. The left arm is stretched vertically from the shoulder and the gaze should be at the upstretched left hand. The pose is also repeated for the left leg and the left arm. The focus is given on the breathing patterns. In this asana, inhalation should be when the arm moves up, while exhalation should be when the arm comes down.
    Different Asanas have different purposes as some can tone up the back while others can make the legs strong. In our system of well being the role of Yogasan is very important and for each Asana there is a method to undertake it to get the desired benefit.

I remember learning some of these Asanas when I had a problem in my back. The orthopedic doctor prescribed me nothing but some exercises and I was back to normal in 2 months time. It was really amazing to go under that experience of getting well with such simple techniques.

• Sign In to post your comments